Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Suggestions on TK Lam repair  (Read 4144 times)

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Suggestions on TK Lam repair
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »

Why wouldn't you use ply wood? I reckon it's probably the only thing that held the corner on.
I'm interested to hear what other wood could be used for a lamitoe or anything that can be done to improve the quality of the repair.
My thinking was that if I could spread the impact across the width of the blade with a rigid insert the corner would be less likely to fall off.

edge

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »

Plywood's too rigid and brittle - you may be increasing the strength of the toe a little but you're making it more likely to crack off somewhere, as has happened in the end. Looks to me the willow has moved a bit, as it often does in that spot, and because the ply can't deform with it you've ended up with a blown out toe behind where the ply has cracked. Have seen lamitoes end this way before, I'd guess it's a common result.

You'd possibly want something that will add some strength but ideally compress a little when hit hard, particularly in this case where there's so little willow behind the repair. More realistically I think I'd just use a piece of willow as it's a nice safe option, with a careful choice of non-brittle adhesive. For this particular repair maybe just remove everything rear of the insert (and a bit above that) and put a decent size new block of willow in to replace it.

Just spotted your post about a titanium insert - would end with a totally destroyed toe I'd say! Sandwiching your 1cm of willow between a hard pitch or cricket ball and a piece of ti is only going to have one loser.
HS: 156, BB: 7-20

IQ

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 01:47:10 AM »

'if it's worth doing then it's worth overdoing'

Cut a couple of cm off the bottom, and if overall length is an issue get a slightly longer handle put in. The bats a cracker, just need to stop hitting things with the toe  :D

In that case this is perfect  for you.  :D

Only way to fix that toe for good is to get rid of it.

And nothing says overdoing than replacing a perfectly sound handle.  ;)

How about experimenting with different threads for binding? Had a guy rock up with a toe wrapped in thin BADMINTON Racquet string the other day. I was doubtful but he seemed chuffed by it.

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »

It's already a long handle short blade, I don't want a Mongoose!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Advertise on CBF