Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Net Action - Pretty Amazing!  (Read 1769 times)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
Re: Net Action - Pretty Amazing!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 03:44:05 PM »

Grip and or hip position usually.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »

Grip and or hip position usually.

What's a good grip for off side play?

What's missing in the hip position? Or, what's the correct hip position for off side play?

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »

In the net where he is facing the camera, Banton appears more front-on in his body position than side-on. Isn't this the style of batting that's championed by Gary Palmer?

WalkingWicket37

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »

What's a good grip for off side play?

A white chevron... ;)

Jimbo

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »

In the net where he is facing the camera, Banton appears more front-on in his body position than side-on. Isn't this the style of batting that's championed by Gary Palmer?

Palmer definitely advocates for something similar, yeah. When you read his explanation of why he believes in it, it does make a lot of sense.

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 07:40:27 PM »

Give me Ollie Pope or Zac Crawley's technique over Sibley's every day of the week.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

Jimbo

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »

Give me Ollie Pope or Zac Crawley's technique over Sibley's every day of the week.

I'd settle for any of their techniques if it came with their ability  :D

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »

I know it's a different format, different wickets and allround different circumstances but that net session was the same season he has come out and said he averaged 9 in 1st grade cricket isnt it?

Perhaps his change in technique has helped him overall.

Came out and scored almost 500 runs in a season averaging 30 with a high score of 122.

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »

^ Did that happen after he stopped training with Tom Scolley? Banton looked bored in that video.

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »

^ Did that happen after he stopped training with Tom Scolley? Banton looked bored in that video.

Both happened in the same season

ch1p

• First XI Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:50 PM »

Whether it was Scollay or not Im happy it happened  :D hopefully theres a long England career ahead of him whacking it!

SD

• County 1st XI
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 12:59:21 AM »

I don't agree that he would be better off at this stage in his career starting the season in the CC than going to the IPL.  You can have the best technique in the world but if you can't mentally handle the step up to international cricket then it matters not.  He will learn an awful lot about himself being thrown into that environment.

There is a lot made across a lot sports at the moment that players are so heavily coached from such an early age they they can't work things out for themselves when they enter the professional game.  I am all for players prepared to step out of their comfort zones 

Jimbo

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »

I don't agree that he would be better off at this stage in his career starting the season in the CC than going to the IPL.  You can have the best technique in the world but if you can't mentally handle the step up to international cricket then it matters not.  He will learn an awful lot about himself being thrown into that environment.

There is a lot made across a lot sports at the moment that players are so heavily coached from such an early age they they can't work things out for themselves when they enter the professional game.  I am all for players prepared to step out of their comfort zones

Pretty much this. Look at what moving to Germany at a young age has done for Jadon Sancho's football career. I'd rather see Banton try to excel in the formats he is already very talented in before trying to expand or change his game to play Tests.

cricketbadger03

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

What I first noticed with Labuschagne is how open his stance was, as well as how deep in the crease he appeared to be.

I'm a fairly decent batsman, but it's food for thought for me as I cannot play a full-blooded cut to save my life. I hardly get into such a position.

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »

What I first noticed with Labuschagne is how open his stance was, as well as how deep in the crease he appeared to be.

Smith is the same way but I feel it is more front-on than open.

On a personal note, my batting did improve with a more front-on stance than side on...something to do with my vision I guess. Cricket is a very "traditional" sport where lot of conventional wisdom goes unchallenged. I took a lot of flak for it but people don't argue against numbers. I tried a lot of different open stances but something inspired by a certain English coach helped me settle on a style. On the pro-scene, it was nice to see someone like Smith change to a "open" stance although people thought he was nuts but his numbers are great. Labuschagne is the same way but he has more reach on the off side, he is a tall guy with long reach. For a short batsman like me, off side can be a problem because I don't have that reach. Naturally, I compensate by moving around in and out of the popping crease.

In the end, whatever works for your body, reflexes, and your vision.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Advertise on CBF