Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Archer.. Is he safe in England's hands?  (Read 1666 times)

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Archer.. Is he safe in England's hands?
« on: February 07, 2020, 10:34:32 PM »

For those of us who have watched England for longer than we care to remember one thing is pretty obvious. Genuine pace is like a rare diamond that needs looking after.

We havnt really seen it that much over the years, plus 90 mph.

Jones
Flintoff
Harmison
Willis
Maybe a few more.

Harmison is the one in recent times who was genuinely quick over a decent period.

The question I have thought especially during the New Zealand tour was

Do the England captain and management know what they are doing? I have my doubts myself.

j.f.101

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Archer.. Is he safe in England's hands?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:41 PM »

It's an interesting point - from the way Archer was used during the Ashes you would say no, certainly not. But then the way Mark Wood was used in the SA series would suggest that they do have a decent idea (though still a tendency to encourage overuse of the short ball I'd say). I'm hopeful that the penny has finally dropped for Root/Silverwood, and that we'll see Archer used in the same way as Wood was in SA over the course of the English summer, though maybe I'm being a bit optimistic...

SouthpawMark

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »

Nope. He should never bowl more than 4-5 overs in a spell. He needs to be bowling 90+ constantly. If hes bowling low 80s in longer spells hes no different to Anderson or Broad. He needs to be Englands X-factor bowler, and should be treated as such. Hes been way over bowled in every test match hes plYed so far.
Bat perv.

jayralh

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:07:28 PM »

Archer was picked for world cup while he was still raw. Rules were ammended to accommodate him without letting him mature. The way I see it he has short career due to that

SD

• County 1st XI
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:52:06 PM »

Your fastest bowler shouldn't be getting through the most overs of any of your bowlers in a calendar year.  Injuries are part and parcel of bowling but some are more avoidable than others.

It isn't just the management team though that need to be realistic with their expectations.  You get supporters saying he isn't trying or only wants to.play franchise cricket when he can't bowl every over at 90mph+. Given his work load and the fact that he has carried this elbow injury since the world cup, it has been pretty impressive some of the spells that he has delivered

Northern monkey

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »

Based on all the above comments,,,should he be playing test cricket then?

And Im sure this will be front and foremost in his mind,, even though the test contract is more money, its surely not worth it long term if it both damages his body, and lowers his playing career and potential future earnings?
Or am I just being cynical?

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »

I strongly recommend Barney Ronay's article in today's Guardian.

SurreySam

• First XI Captain

FattusCattus

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bend it like Fattus!!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »

It's a lack of forward thinking and poor captaincy / coaching.

If he is playing in a 5 man attack, he should never be over-bowled. If they bowl all day, he shouldn't be bowling more than 16-18 overs (and those should be flat out).

It's as if the England hierachy don;t know how to handle him.
If you tolerate this, then your baked goods will be next.

RPC/Blueroom Cricket - Adie

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 10:10:04 AM »

Id love to see them retire him from white ball and pay him enough to also not waste time on the circus tournaments. However, as they wont get would probably be best served for his own career to focus on white ball and sack off test cricket and red ball

Manormanic

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »

Some utter piffle talked here, as is sadly so often the case here nowadays.

Should Archer have bowled fewer overs, or been rested a little more?  Probably so.  But one does wonder how much he was asking for the workload - its not unusual after all in the heat of an Ashes series, World Cup etc that players will want to go the extra yard to try and win.  It is also clear that he has not made quite so clear the extent of the elbow injury.

Does that equate to some form of gross mismanagement?  Hell, no.  Root is learning on the job and will improve from here, but was hardly trying to injure his star player.   
"to be the man, you've got to beat the man"

Advertise on CBF