Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What got you hooked with cricket?  (Read 751 times)

SLA

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: What got you hooked with cricket?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »

I didn't really know anyone who played cricket. I played a bit in PE at school aged 8/9, but didn't really get it or enjoy it. That would have been it, except I one day I randomly watched a bit of the 1991 Headingley test on bbc2 out of school summer holiday boredom and became hooked (watch the highlights of that game on the bbc this weekend, you'll see why).

The quality of visiting teams in those days was inspirational. Watching Wasim and Waqar in 1992 convinced me to be a swing bowler. Watching Warne and May in 1993 changed my mind and I took up spin instead. I played a lot in the back garden with my dad or with friends, practicing turning the ball square; however I was still not particularly good in an actual game setting, and only just scraped into my school team as 4th choice seamer.

Then one summer (94?) everything clicked - I switched permanently to spin and got more confident batting, and in the space of a month I took my first 5-fer and scored my first 50, became 1st choice spinner and moved up from 9 to 3 in the batting order. Then dad and I started turning out for his work team and at 13 I was already one of the better players, and that was a really fun team to play for and we won a load of games. I think that was the point where I was "hooked".

I've always loved those very casual t20 games where even if you score a duck you generally still have a fun evening. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with longer format league cricket; it can be great if you have a good team spirit and everyone is contributing, but it can also be pretty painful if either of those things are missing. I've moved around the country a lot and have dipped into league cricket here and there for various teams and at various standards but keep playing T20 stuff year in year out. Including school and university teams I think I've turned out for about 20 different sides over the years.

T20 cricket 1995-present, Saturday league cricket 1997-present.
L3 Cricket Coach, L2 Baseball Coach.
Running total: Countries played cricket in: 7. Counties played cricket in: 14
Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF