Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 70

Author Topic: Englands international summer  (Read 22092 times)

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
Re: Englands international summer
« Reply #720 on: July 29, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »

The only thing Buttler has over Foakes is that he can up his strike rate better and play some amazing shots! But so can Root, Stokes and Pope!
I think Buttler should absolutely be playing in the T20 and most definitely the ODI England side. But I just think Foakes is the better option. A Test average of over 40 with the bat plus being the best keeper we have is surely a better option? Plus having Stokes, Foakes and Woakes would open the door for loads of decent crowd songs and chants! And that's a good thing  :D

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #721 on: July 29, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »

Foakes was hitting bombs into the stands vs Sri Lanka so he can definitely "up his strike rate" if the situation calls for it.

brokenbat

« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2020, 06:02:04 PM »

Hats off to WI and Pak for stepping up and giving us something to watch.

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »

Hats off to WI and Pak for stepping up and giving us something to watch.

Absolutely WI took a pay cut to come here,stay in the bubble for ages with little freedom. In the end they just ran out of gas, I thought myself they would beat us or a drawn series.

We....as in England....as in the ECB....now owe the a West Indies the right to make some money. Because of our travelling fans the away tour is priceless to the Islands for revenue.

I hope we do the right thing and squeeze in something. Time for the ECB to lead the way forward

Jeff Navarro

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • British born
Re: England�s international summer
« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »

Unless Buttler gets like 10 ducks in a row I dont see him being dropped. Ed Smith has already been forced to ditch Denly. Also ditching Buttler would pretty much mean hes admitting hes a poor chairman of selectors

Jeff Navarro

• First XI Captain
  • British born
« Reply #725 on: July 29, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »

Absolutely WI took a pay cut to come here,stay in the bubble for ages with little freedom. In the end they just ran out of gas, I thought myself they would beat us or a drawn series.

We....as in England....as in the ECB....now owe the a West Indies the right to make some money. Because of our travelling fans the away tour is priceless to the Islands for revenue.

I hope we do the right thing and squeeze in something. Time for the ECB to lead the way forward
The winter tours of Sri Lanka and India seem pretty unlikely given the rate that covid19 is spreading over there.

Once they abandon those tours, ECB can agree to go to the Caribbean instead

SD

• County 1st XI
« Reply #726 on: July 29, 2020, 06:36:25 PM »

If Foakes could average 40 with the bat over a period of time (Butler also averaged more than 60 in his first 3 tests) then it would be a huge advantage for England in an era lacking in top wicket keeper batsmen.  I am not convinced that he could though.

Sri Lanka with its pitches lacking in pace bounce and lateral movement was an idea place for him to make his debut with a technique that sees him walk across his stumps and shovel to leg. He struggled afterwards in the Caribbean then had a rank 2019 in FC cricket.  He looks to me to be a player who will struggle against international seam bowling.

We probably do need to be realistic as to what to expect from our keeper though in terms of run output.  We have had 2 keepers in the history of test cricket who managed to average 40 over a long period.  It can't really be the bench mark given it has seldom been achieved in almost 150 years of test cricket

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #727 on: July 29, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »

The winter tours of Sri Lanka and India seem pretty unlikely given the rate that covid19 is spreading over there.

Once they abandon those tours, ECB can agree to go to the Caribbean instead

At present yes this scenario does look very possible.

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #728 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »

The suggestion that we don't play a series against India is laughable. There is too much money involved. The series will be played. Likely to be in the UAE though.

There is notionally a gap in the calendar before Christmas though.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

csnew

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2020, 07:28:18 AM »

Windies and Pak risked their lives in the middle of the pandemic to tour - couldnt have been easy for them

England wont be able to say no to touring pak now for non-covid related grounds

alba caerulea

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »

Windies and Pak risked their lives in the middle of the pandemic to tour - couldnt have been easy for them

England wont be able to say no to touring pak now for non-covid related grounds

Im not sure of your logic here - Because Pakistan toured in a bio bubble due to a respiratory illness the risk of potential terrorism in Pakistan is lessened? A crazy theory! Perhaps we could go sightseeing on the gaza strip aswell

I would hope that the ECB would treat each case individually. If its safe to tour Pakistan then happy days, would love to see England playing there again but this virus will have no bearing on the decision

csnew

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #731 on: July 30, 2020, 09:09:51 AM »

Im not sure of your logic here - Because Pakistan toured in a bio bubble due to a respiratory illness the risk of potential terrorism in Pakistan is lessened? A crazy theory! Perhaps we could go sightseeing on the gaza strip aswell

I would hope that the ECB would treat each case individually. If its safe to tour Pakistan then happy days, would love to see England playing there again but this virus will have no bearing on the decision

At the time of windies and pak jumping on a plane, the U.K. was in the top 3 for deaths and infection rates - bio bubble or not, they still risked their lives coming to a pandemic zone. Not to mention the fact that both sides were ethnic minorities.

Up to you where you want to go sightseeing but at the time sightseeing in Gaza was probably considered safer than coming to a country with such high infection rates

It heavily weigh in on their decision to tour both countries

Jeff Navarro

• First XI Captain
  • British born
« Reply #732 on: July 30, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »

The suggestion that we don't play a series against India is laughable. There is too much money involved. The series will be played. Likely to be in the UAE though.

There is notionally a gap in the calendar before Christmas though.
If the tour to India is cancelled, India are still scheduled to tour England next summer anyway.

BCCI are more interested in the IPL then Test cricket.

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #733 on: July 30, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »

Up to you where you want to go sightseeing but at the time sightseeing in Gaza was probably considered safer than coming to a country with such high infection rates
🤣🤣🤣 this is an amazing take.

I'd love to see us go and tour the Windies and Pakistan this winter though, but sadly I don't see the ECB doing it.
HS: 156, BB: 7-20

billyb

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #734 on: July 30, 2020, 09:33:07 PM »

I can't wait for a future tour of Pakistan, but it isn't happening just yet. It will be amazing when it happens though! Aren't Bangladesh touring there soon?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 70

Advertise on CBF