Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Samit Patel  (Read 7793 times)

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Samit Patel
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »

Yeah I would have thought that's unlikely, doesn't make sense as an investment from a major global brand.

But I've heard it spoken of? BS?

SD

• County 1st XI
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »

the other side to the story, ie the player prespective...

there are occasions when the brands do not either:

1. pay up on time or at all
2. send quality goods in a timely manner

hence players tend to move around more often now days?

Most brands will also have a "reputational damage" style clause which is fairly wide-ranging when it comes to dropping a player.  New Balance binned Ben Stokes after his night club incident despite eventually being acquired (they did of course stick with Steve Smith) although that may be one of the more commercially disastrous decisions they have made in their cricket division

Jimbo

• International Captain
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »

But I've heard it spoken of? BS?

Why would someone on the scale of Adidas be interested in the sales or reputation that a club player can generate? Contrastingly, if your club's best batsman gets the 2s, 3s and 4s using a small brand then that could be quite a significant revenue boost.

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »

Why would someone on the scale of Adidas be interested in the sales or reputation that a club player can generate?

I have absolutely no idea why.  All part of selling a dream?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:46:51 PM by Bats_Entertainment »

Neon Cricket

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • Neon Cricket
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 07:55:25 AM »

I can 100% confirm the "big brands" still sponsor club players - I've got a multitude of applications from players previously sponsored by Adidas, Gray Nics and Kookaburra (amongst others but those are the main culprits).

These do tend to be players involved with District/Minor County set ups as a minimum, but it varies massively and I've seen average players receiving heavy discounts from the bigger brands. You've got to remember with the big brands they sell the major of their kit at trade price to retailers, not directly to consumers, so the RRPs you see are largely irrelevant as they rarely ever sell kit at this price - if they can sell direct to players as part of a sponsorship arrangement, but at roughly the same price they sell to retailers, then they're no worse off (except having to faff with selling direct and pi**ing retailers off I would've thought!).

It's no secret that some brands' whole business model revolves around these discounted sponsorship deals. I would happily go into more detail but don't want to be at risk of libel lol.
Email: adam@neoncricket.co.uk
Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram

Neon Cricket

• International Captain
    • Neon Cricket
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

the other side to the story, ie the player prespective...

there are occasions when the brands do not either:

1. pay up on time or at all
2. send quality goods in a timely manner

hence players tend to move around more often now days?

Interesting one this, as for paying up on time obviously Spartan are well known for this. I don't know of any UK based brand examples but imagine it'll have happened where brands have gone under etc.

As for sending goods, I tend to pick up the majority of my talent due to sh*t service they've received from big brands. Ultimately big brands only care about their marquee players, and so the service for their lesser known/up and coming youngsters tends to be a little poor (from my experience anyway). Most of my NCCA representatives have come as a result of their previous sponsors not providing good service, as opposed to bad deals/kit.

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »

Thanks fior sharing this info.  Although I do find it kind of depressing.

Neon Cricket

• International Captain
    • Neon Cricket
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »

Thanks fior sharing this info.  Although I do find it kind of depressing.

Totally agree, it's depressing the market is going this way.

Unfortunately so long as these brands continue with their super inflated RRPs just so they can offer little Jimmy 40% off to make his rich parents feel like they're getting a good deal it's only going to get worse.

Jimbo

• International Captain
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »

I can 100% confirm the "big brands" still sponsor club players - I've got a multitude of applications from players previously sponsored by Adidas, Gray Nics and Kookaburra (amongst others but those are the main culprits).

These do tend to be players involved with District/Minor County set ups as a minimum, but it varies massively and I've seen average players receiving heavy discounts from the bigger brands. You've got to remember with the big brands they sell the major of their kit at trade price to retailers, not directly to consumers, so the RRPs you see are largely irrelevant as they rarely ever sell kit at this price - if they can sell direct to players as part of a sponsorship arrangement, but at roughly the same price they sell to retailers, then they're no worse off (except having to faff with selling direct and pi**ing retailers off I would've thought!).

It's no secret that some brands' whole business model revolves around these discounted sponsorship deals. I would happily go into more detail but don't want to be at risk of libel lol.

Thanks mate, that's an interesting one. I suppose I wasn't really considering players involved in minor counties level cricket as that's not a thing up here in Scotland!

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »

Thanks mate, that's an interesting one. I suppose I wasn't really considering players involved in minor counties level cricket as that's not a thing up here in Scotland!

It isn't?  ;)

Kulli

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »

Where do you play, as an excited Scot I havent seen too many of us on here.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

Jimbo

• International Captain
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »

It isn't?  ;)

There's a regional series (East of Scotland, West of Scotland, North of Scotland) that usually features at least a few Scotland internationals, Scotland development and top club players but nothing quite the scale of minor counties.

Jimbo

• International Captain
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »

Where do you play, as an excited Scot I havent seen too many of us on here.

Play for a couple of parks clubs in Edinburgh mate, couldn't afford the subs at the big clubs when I was a student and it's stuck 😅

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »

There's a regional series (East of Scotland, West of Scotland, North of Scotland) that usually features at least a few Scotland internationals, Scotland development and top club players but nothing quite the scale of minor counties.

Seems you missed the joke. Maybe a good thing!

Jimbo

• International Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »

Seems you missed the joke. Maybe a good thing!

Bloody emoji didn't load! Although national pride now compels me to paint my face blue and come after you with a claymore while screaming freedom 😂
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Advertise on CBF